Plan content strategy
- Gather business requirements
- Determine content requirements
- Participate in initial planning meetings
- Establish content governance policy
- Set criteria for success
- Tie in with communication plan, which includes key launch dates for new products/events, etc.
- When you have an idea for a new article or section, write it down now. It’s easier to come back to a list of stashed ideas than start fresh with a blank page.
- Save interesting bookmarks you come across and wish to reference later
- Star interesting items in your RSS feeds
- If your project involves a team of contributors, you could try sharing a plan of articles or sections (e.g., with timeline and responsible authors) using collaboration tools such as Basecamp or a wiki (I prefer the wiki method)
Content strategy deliverables
- Content brief
- Content inventory
- Content audit/value matrix
- Content governance policy
- Gap analysis
- Project plan
Again, don’t let this scare you. These are huge deliverables and I’ll provide explanations and examples of each of them later.